Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) techniques are being extensively used to improve and maintain the quality of manufactured goods as well as for proper maintenance of industrial plants and equipment. Typical industries that benefit most include Aerospace, Chemical, Heavy Mechanical Fabrication, Power Generation, Automobiles, Oil and Gas, Shipbuilding, Foundries, and Armaments, etc. Among the most widely used NDT techniques for the detection of internal defects are Radiographic and Ultrasonic testing. For surface and just below the surface defects Magnetic Particle testing, Liquid Penetrant testing and Eddy Current testing are commonly used. In addition to these, there are some NDT methods which have specific applications. These include Acoustic Emission, Thermal and Infrared testing, Microwave testing, Computer Tomography, Strain Gauging, Leak testing, Holography, Ferromagnetic steel wire rope testing, Magnetic flux leakage testing, Remote field testing, Time-of-Flight Diffraction (TOFD), Phased array, Pipeline current mapping (PCM), etc.
The National Centre for Non-Destructive Testing (NCNDT) was established in 1995 but the NDT activities have been carried out since 1974. Establishment of the Centre has filled a long overdue need of the Industrial sector of the country. The NCNDT is housed in a 5-storyed building with a covered area of about 3300 square meters with properly designed offices, laboratories, lecture halls, meeting rooms, examination halls, library and a 150-seat auditorium. It has well qualified and experienced engineers, scientists and technical staff. Most of the scientists and engineers have been trained and certified in various NDT techniques.
NCNDT is fully equipped and well staffed for carrying out the following jobs:
- Training of NDT personnel at various levels.
- Certification of NDT personnel at various levels.
- NDT services to government organizations and various industrial sectors of Pakistan during manufacturing, fabrication, pre-service inspection and in-service inspection.
- Mechanical testing of materials, weld procedures and welder qualification.
- Consultancy and third party inspection.
- Calibration of NDT equipment.
- Collection of NDT test pieces for training and certification in numerous specific industrial sectors.
- Research and development (R & D) to evolve techniques for solution of specific industrial problems.
- R & D to introduce advanced NDT methods and equipment to the national industry and to develop locally as many NDT instruments as possible.